HELP! Broken After tomtomhome did update

I hooked up to tomtom home and it downloaded some update today.

Now, when I turn on the 720 (not attached to the computer), I get a flashing X and it doesn't work. I can operate the go720 from the tomtom home software but not free-standing.

Help please!

I think you can try to do a reset on the 720. Than connect it to your comp and see if will download and install the update.

I had the same problem.
My 720 worked fine right out of the box, but once I did an upgrade, it turned into a piece of plastic.
I notified customer service, but after 2 days and hearing nothing, I returned the unit to CircuitCity for another.
SAME PROBLEM!
The home2 backup is not exactly what I would call "robust".
The update corrupted the operating system.
Delete it from the home2 page (ignore the warnings) and update again.

When you bakup, use Widows and backup everything.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I received this from "support"

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your device

It sounds as if the update has corrupted the application

Connect the device to the PC .Close Home ,Open My Computer .the Tomtom will be recognised as a mass storage device
Explore it and delete all the loose files that are not in yellow folders .

In Home v2.0

Preferences/Folder preferences/Downloads/Browse and delete the downloads folder

Exit Home and then open it again ( this will create a new downloads folder)

Log-in again and click on download your updates

In Home reinstall the application update and this will be rebuild the operating system on the device .

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I'm saving a copy of what you all said above in case I need to do this again.

Using restore didn't work.

I managed to get through to a tech support guy at their 866-486-6866 number at about 5 PM.

We started with the flash memory clearing several times but that didn't work. Their "servers were down" so I couldn't download the software that lets me operate my 720 on the computer. (When I had returned to an earlier version before I called, for some reason it did operate the 720 by computer. Then that stopped working and didn't work even on other laptops I had the older software on. Weird.).

What finally worked was to replace some files and folders with a custom-made zip file they put on their website for me when I logged in.

It's working now and I am not planning to update any software for a while! Once bitten, twice shy. But I must say the tech apologized for the corruption and the downed server.

I had the same problem. After first getting it running fine out of the box, then tried to install some udpates, got the dredded flashing x. Tried my backup, no luck. So I went to the support site and found something about a clear cache script. I used a paperclip to hit the reset button, then I ran the downloaded clear cache script. Then after re-connecting to Tomtom Home and disconnecting, it worked again. Phew, thought I broke it before xmas :eek:

Here is the link for the clear flash tool: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Bought the unit at lunch time and used it all day. Tried to update that evening and wound up with a paper weight. Wound up having to call customer support. We wiped out all of the stored files on my computer (My Documents>TomTom>Home>Downloads) and all of the files off of the TomTom as well. Then, they dropped the necessary application into my TomTom account. Thought about creating a tutorial with a zip file for others that have ran into this issue. Tech support basically said the updated file had become corrupted somewhere in the mix. :cool:

To eaturner:

It's Dec 9th and my husband's bought-today 720 got corrupted on the first download of software. Your message saved my sanity (when I contacted tech for this on my own 720, they sent me some files to replace but your message is a much better way!).

Your message should be made "sticky" so others can find it easily. And TomTom should post this kind of thing on their own forum (if they have one).

Thanks again and again....

gps

I hooked up to tomtom home and it downloaded some update today.

Now, when I turn on the 720 (not attached to the computer), I get a flashing X and it doesn't work. I can operate the go720 from the tomtom home software but not free-standing.

Help please!

i need help to install my new gps

What kind of help do you need? Have you followed the quickstart instructions provided in the box?

Ask a Question