Help with Rolling back firmware.

Hello All, thanks in advance for the help.

As with many people the new update to 8.3 has left my 920T all but useless to me. :mad:

My goal here is to simply undo this nightmare and to be able to broadcast my instructions Via FM, update without errors and restarts and to have smooth voice communication devoid of stutters, glitches etc.. ALL CAUSED BY THE UPDATE:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

I want to roll back my unit except I am running into multiple problems.

A. Both before and after removing my apps and formatting my ENTIRE unit, card and internal, I get an error and I cannot complete a restore due to the following error Message:

"ERROR: Note: Some volumes (for example, a storage card) that were present during a previous backup are not currently present on your navigation device, and cannot be backed up or restored.
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:74
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1033
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:77
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/restore/restore.js:72
errorCallback(errorStrOut.value);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:77
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
5. function _startCommitFunction chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1030
if (typeof(unimportantError) != "undefined") {
6. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:994
}
7. function onPageChange chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:686
]]></body>
8. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:462
}

CAN I Fix this? IF no, read on..

So I then went over to the firmware site and downloaded the navcore CAB file for navcore_8.010.9369. BUT there are two.. navcore_8.010.9369.gox30 and gox20. I don't know which I need but I did attempt to install these after removing all but the folders from my internal and I deleted all hidden files as well but no joy, the thing didn't work.

Lastly, I want to determine what map version I have to make sure that 8.1 will work. I have not bought any lately but still, I would like to identify my maps and even my firmware version. How do I do this? I see nothing in the files indicating the version of the map.

Whatever gets me back to prior to this update and where my FM transmitter works for directions is Fine.
Thanks you Yoda's of the TomTom.

I gather your backup was with Home and not Explorer as we suggest.....

You can tell what map you have as follows:
1. tap the satelllite bars (if you can) and you'll see the version of firmware installed.
2. tap the version number and you'll see what map, version and build is installed.

Anyway, if you use the cab file ending in x20, expand and copy it to the unit, that should get the 8.01 firmware installed. If you have currently an 815 map installed, that won't work with the firmware but I gather that's not an issue for you.

Any maps you downloaded ARE stored on your computer, usually in the default folder location designated in Home's menu option Tools-->Home Preferences-->Folder Options.

After firmware is restored, you should be able to reinstall a stored map.

I gather your backup was with Home and not Explorer as we suggest.....

You can tell what map you have as follows:
1. tap the satelllite bars (if you can) and you'll see the version of firmware installed.
2. tap the version number and you'll see what map, version and build is installed.

Anyway, if you use the cab file ending in x20, expand and copy it to the unit, that should get the 8.01 firmware installed. If you have currently an 815 map installed, that won't work with the firmware but I gather that's not an issue for you.

Any maps you downloaded ARE stored on your computer, usually in the default folder location designated in Home's menu option Tools-->Home Preferences-->Folder Options.

After firmware is restored, you should be able to reinstall a stored map.

Wow! you are a super Mod! Lightning fast response sir, thank you.

SO is installing via explorer as simple as copy and paste on the unit? No Exe's or anything?
I ask because I am getting the " no maps found" despite having one installed and I did not use Tom home 2 for anything, I am copying and pasting into the internal.

Since I cannot view the display, I don't know what map I have.

Is the cab fill all inclusive or can I install from the completely formatted Tom?

You should be able to just expand the files and folders (keeping the structure in the cab file) and install on the unit.

Yeah, Explorer backups are simply copying and pasting into a folder on the computer of your naming (remember to show hidden files and folders).

You should be able to just expand the files and folders (keeping the structure in the cab file) and install on the unit.

Yeah, Explorer backups are simply copying and pasting into a folder on the computer of your naming (remember to show hidden files and folders).

Splain please? First off, when I send the cab to the unit, EVERY file asks if I want to keep it. I cannot fine a Yes To All option. I am using XP pro.

Thank you again for your time and help.:D

Your original post seemed to say you formatted the internal so isn't everything gone?

Anyway, I'd put all the files and folders (with their contents) on the unit.

But, you do need a map from somewhere...........:confused:

Your original post seemed to say you formatted the internal so isn't everything gone?

Anyway, I'd put all the files and folders (with their contents) on the unit.

But, you do need a map from somewhere...........:confused:
What I have to work with are the files from my backup. I am not sure if the backup is pre or post the update. I believe its from before.

I go into the file names backup found at C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME

I copied them all onto my internal prior to deleting hidden files and when I did, I got the same restricted FM selections. SO then I removed everything after I saved the entire enternal and I formatted the machine. I then put the files back on using the backup found in the above tomtom home. When I eas done, It said " No maps"
Dumb question but are the maps in a folder named maps? I see one names "north america" but not maps. I fig I would search for my maps..

When the machine backs up, does it overwrite previous backups? I only see one backup in My Documents\TomTom\HOME.

When the machine backs up, does it overwrite previous backups? I only see one backup in My Documents\TomTom\HOME.
Yes -- stupid, isn't it? On the rare occasion of a backup using Home, I always go in and rename the BACKUP1 folder to something like BACKUP 01-05-09 so that the next one created won't overwrite it. Home always uses BACKUP1 as the folder to hold the backup being done.

Meanwhile, do as DHN suggests for the future -- be sure that system/hidden files are shown in Windows, and copy the whole works to a folder of your choice. Ditto the contents of any SD card, if you're using one.

Thanks Canderson.

Well I found the file titled Maps but for some reason all I have is one file named North_America.tlv. I had Europe,Guam and USA. Gone? I didnt delete them. MMM?

Last edited:
Thanks Canderson.

Well I found the file titled Maps but for some reason all I have is one file named North_America.tlv. I had Europe,Guam and USA. Gone? I didnt delete them. MMM?
Not good. Just for grins, please search your entire drive and TomTom for files ending in the extension *.toc. There should be one for every map you've ever downloaded. Then search everywhere again for *.pna files. There will be one of these associated with every map that has ever been installed on your TT. Perhaps it's just gotten tucked away somewhere that you didn't expect.

Well Today, after acquiring some maps over the net, I took the plunge and spoke with TT Tech. First the good news. A. They seem to be overwhelmed with people complaining about Issues regarding the FM transmitter, the stuttering, and inability to update. The person said that he was positive that the FM feature was to be re started after overwhelming complaints. He said that without exaggeration, he had 34 calls in a row which all pertained to complaints about these issues.

The next good news was that he loaded me up with both new and old maps, and even comped me a year of free fuel prices! Cant beat that service!:D

Now the bad news. For some reason, TT home is downloading at a rediciously slow rate and It keeps timing out. It took Hrs to get the fuel and some voices which he also comped but the maps I actually need will not DL.
I have gone as far as removing and reinstalling Home, checking my connection speed, which is working fabulously quick, still, cant get the maps.

Any Ideas as to how I can fix this?

TomTom's servers are notoriously slow at times.......

It had been documented in threads here that, for whatever reason, minimizing the screen when downloading large files from TT (like maps or firmware) seems to speed up the download.

Ask a Question