Troubles with new tomtom

Hey all,

I just got my tomtom the other day and I was downloading updates and stuff and I got the red X of death. After searching the forums I found that a format should fix it. So thats what I did!

Everything reinstalled fine, excecpt the maps. Now when I turn it on it says "No Maps Found!"

Where can I get the USA maps downloaded again without having to pay for em?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I just got my tomtom the other day and I was downloading updates and stuff and I got the red X of death. After searching the forums I found that a format should fix it. So thats what I did!

Everything reinstalled fine, excecpt the maps. Now when I turn it on it says "No Maps Found!"

Where can I get the USA maps downloaded again without having to pay for em?

Thanks!

They are already downloaded and installed on your computer. Try a pin reset on the unit and see whether that helps.

You may also want to take a look at this link:
http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=6234

I reset the tomtom with a pin. It came up and still said no maps found. .

I checked that thread and I actually tried that before posting and it didnt help.

Well, you could try reinstalling the map again. Use TTHome-->Add Maps/Voices-->arrow right about 4 screens and you should see 'Tems on My computer'. Select that and you should see a map category and the map listed. Select to install.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware for the unit. See if it 'sees' the map then.

If no go, you could first backup the entire contents of your unit using Explorer, not Home and make sure hidden files are shown and extensions for known file types are showing. Then, in the TomTom-->Download folder of your computer, remove everything you see there. Start up TTHome and it should offer more updates such as map, etc to download and install. Aceept that and see if things work properly after all that.

If not, a call to support is necessary, I think.

TomTom's "Non-Support" operation

You may as well forget Tech Support -- I've been getting the runaround from them all day -- they are useless and a waste of time.

Here -- take a look at my communications with them just for today -- I'll post a copy here - keep in mind that the time frame is backwards -- most recent is at the top - oldest at the bottom -- you can see how the frustration level is excalating:

Trying to get help

Discussion Thread
Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 08:52 PM
It's now 8:45 PM your time -- I still have not received the promised e-mail with the downloadable map of Germany, Austria and Switzerland I paid for earlier today. The promised one hour delay has long since passed. Please cancel my order for the map - I will be returning the Rider 2nd Edition to the seller and getting my money returned to me -- your supposed "support site" is lacking in all respects. Garmin seems to be the way to go so that is what I will do. I will require a response from you verifying that the charges on my American Express card ending in ***92007 have been credited back to me and I need a contact number or e-mail address for your board of directors. If I do not receive the requested information in a timely manner I will go to the Better Business Bureau immediately.

Gery Allen

Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 07:20 PM
Ok -- you are now closed - it's 7:18 Eastern -- you close at 7:00 -- I still have no e-mail with the map download instructions I was promised for the credit card purchase I made several hours ago today. Obviously your interpretation of an "hour" - which is the time frame I was promised for the download - is significantly different from mine!

Should I just return the Rider 2 ?? -- Is that what it takes to get some support ?? I need to talk to a supervisor !!

Gery Allen -- ( very very dissapointed with your performance )

Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 06:11 PM
Still looking for my map of Germany, Austria and Switzerland -- I provided all credit card information and was told I would receive an e-mail with download instructions within the hour -- not here yet!

Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 04:25 PM
I have finally made it to que position 2 -- after one hour and 35 minutes -- if this situation is not corrected very quickly you will loose a substantial number of customers!

Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 04:15 PM
I have now been on the phone with you people for one hour and twenty five minutes - my cell phone battery is getting low -- is there no way to speak with anyone ?? I am now at queue position 3 -- this is taking for ever -- all I want to do is pay you $149 for a damned map !!!

Customer (Gery Allen) 05/28/2008 04:04 PM
OK -- this is nuts -- I have been on hold for over 1 hour and 10 minutes -- I have a reference Number - 080528-008981 -- all I want to do is buy a damned map -- how hard can that be ??? Now I am a Queue position 4 and have been for a long damned time -- how is this possible ??? I'm on a cell phone and the call is costing me a fortune all because your payment system does not allow a billing address for my credit card to be a PO Box -- someone needs to pull their head out of their "***" and look at the sun light -- many of us live in a rural area that has no postal service -- we have to use PO Boxes for our mail !!! If I don't use a PO Box for my billing address then American Express will not believe it's a valid charge.

Also - your support product selection does not show the Rider second edition -- how can I select my product if it isn't available?

I'm starting to get very disappointed with my TomTom purchase selection. This has to be the very worst "support site" I have ever seen -- perhaps it should be renamed "non-support" instead !

Gery Allen

I'm sorry but TomTom just doesn't deliver what they promised.

If you get a Red X, all you have to do is delete the application from the 2nd page of Tom Tom HOME, "Remove Items From My XX" and update your Tom Tom to get the application back...

Don't ever format without calling customer support, when you format, you erase everything, and without a back up of your device, you lose the maps, and you WILL have to purchase them again.

Ask a Question