* TomTom GO 720 v7.481
* Provider: T-Mobile
* What data plan: BlackBerry Unlimited
* Phone: BlackBerry Pearl 8120

* Handsfree: Yes
* Phonebook transfer: Yes
* SMS messaging: No
* Data transfer: Yes

See the history in this post: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=57534&postcount=104

The trick to getting this working was to do a Factory Reset on the GO 720. Bingo. It worked. You still have to use wap.voicestream.com instead of internet2.voicestream.com (or any other number). So you can pick T-Mobile (I) and let it fail then choose to do a Manual setup changing the APN to wap.voicestream.com and accepting the default for the rest, or you can do a manual config from the get go and enter the APN, number to dial, and the connection string a.k.a. the Login Script on the TomTom.

I don't know what may have gotten screwed up on the GO 720 that a Factory Reset would cleared but I have a suspicion. When I first had it working on the 8100 I don't think I had a Service Book on it, due to not being provisioned for T-Mo's BlackBerry Unlimited Plan at the time, I had the Total Internet Plan. So maybe the TomTom requested some config parameter from the 8100 and remembered it but then that parameter changed once I was provisioned for the BlackBerry Unlimited Plan and received a Service Book.

But at any rate, I want to thank Andrew, Director of Product Management, Handheld Software, Research In Motion and Darlton, Technical Channel Manager, T-Mobile Business Unit, Research In Motion Limited and Bryce, Manager - Support, TomTom Inc. These people, no doubt with the help of many others, worked together in resolving this issue. My hat is off to all involved.

I'm one happy camper.

Oh, one other thing that might be the reason 8100's only worked with v4.2.0.66 code, might be that there was a Bluetooth issue with tethering in 4.2 code that was corrected in 4.3. This was mentioned in the course of troubleshooting the 8120 the last few weeks.

Oh oh, and another thing, on the 8120 under Settings --> Advanced --> TCP the APN: value should be blank.

Last edited:
i have successfully paired the Samsung SCH-u740 with the Tom Tom GO720.

version 7.221 North_America_2GB v715.1712 voice recog "feature" enabled.

prior to map update i was only able to get to 10% before a crash would occour.

all good now.

if you need any more info from device, ask here, and i will get it.
How did you get the u740 to work with the 720? I have the 920 and am hoping it will be similiar. Thanks.

920 works with Aliant (Bell in Canada) moto v910, supports voice dial, phone book, SMS, SMS to voice. Easy pairing and great distance.

Nokia 6086 with TT GO 720

I was able to pair my Nokia 6086 with my TT GO 720 right away, just using the Mobile menu on the TT. I have Tmobile but I don't have a data plan (don't need Traffic). I can make and receive calls but haven't been able to get the voice input to work (where you say a name aloud and the phone dials it for you). It works on the phone alone but not when paired with the gps. Phonebook transfer worked, didn't try SMS.

Was successful pairing a LG9900 with Verison and a 720 for hands free. Had to go through 3 720's to find one that worked:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Q9m

TomTom tested: GO 920T
Firmware version: 8.300
Wireless carrier: Verizon
What data plan is being used if any: BroadbandConnect plan
Phone manufacture and model number: Motorola Q9m (same firmware as Q9c), with Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade
Which features work
* Handsfree -- Sometimes... about a 1 in 4 chance, but even if it doesn't connect, that doesn't seem to affect Internet data transfer services
"No answer from phone, please check your mobile phone" every 2-3 minutes
* Phonebook transfer -- YES
* SMS messaging -- sadly, no :(
* Bluetooth file transfer -- YES!
* Internet data transfer -- Yes, confirmed working with TomTom Services

Use the "Motorola Q9" phone setting (added in Phone Settings patch released November 2008)
Data transfer can not be used while in a call and visa-versa. Use Advanced Settings to tell your TT Device about this restriction. Disabling Handsfree to get rid of the chronic "No answer from phone..." error message will cause the TT to open a connection to the Internet that stays open, preventing calls from being made or received.

Last edited:
Tmobile blackberry 8320 and also tmo wing works like a charm.

You were right above - it will not work with Blackberry plan - only the unteathered T-Mobil internet plan. I am trying a 8120, and it paired from the normal TomTom setup menu - did not have to do it manually. Did not have to mess with different application versions either - worked OK out of the box.

I have also paired a Nokia 6133 and Razr v3 through the same menu without having to do anything manually. All work OK with the unlimited plan.

Good luck with the Blackberry folks. My instincts are that this is not a big enough issue for them to spend development dollars on. Depending on how much you need to use the Blackberry services, you could consider going back to the T-Mobile unlimited plan and only use the Blackberry email (9.99) plan for email if you absolutely have to have their complete email service. Otherwise, you can check for new emails (still on your server) through T-Mobiles email service through T-Zones.

Stupid question, is the user name and password something you make up, or is it assigned by T-mobile? Thanks!

I have an Iphone but haven't been able to get it to work with my Rider 2nd Edition -- my Iphone recognizes the Rider and thinks it's "paired" but the Rider 2 can't seem to find the Iphone -- Tech support, after a 2 hour wait on hold to speak to a real person, suggested turning off Bluetooth till the Rider began searching for the cell phone and then turning it on again -- that didn't work at all -- any suggestions ??

Stupid question, is the user name and password something you make up, or is it assigned by T-mobile? Thanks!

I believe the user name and password was the one I set up on the TomTom website when I registered the device. Since it is being paired with the T-Mobile phone, did not need to use any t-Mobile info. It needs to authenticate the paired device on the TomTom server.

PS - it worked with both the T-Mobile unlimited plan and the current Blackberry unlimited ($19.95) plan. I did not have to deal with enterprise server.

TomTom tested : GO 920T
Wireless carrier: Rogers
What data plan is being used if any: Basic 4MB BB plan
Phone manufacture and model number: Blackberry 8700R

Hands free, phonebook transfer and DATA works ONLY with Beta 4.5.0.37.. Couldn't connect using 4.2.x.xxx.. Works but the beta software is SLOW. :( No service books installed yet.. Will ad service books and see if I get cut off from Data..

Trafiic, Weather, Account Info, and map and QuickGPS fix works fine.. :p

EDIT: Added Service Books and Restored all my backed up info from PC to BlackBerry.. Works still.. Must be a flaw is 4.2.x.xxx with BB8700.. Prolly same flaw with BB81x0 that needed specific software to use. Everything works but SMS/Messages.

Last edited:
I was playing around with my dad's GO 920 and was able to successfully get my phone to connect for hands free, but couldn't get it to connect for data transfer. I only played with it for 5 minutes so I didn't put much into it.

* TT Device: TomTom GO 920
* Carrier: AT&T
* Data Plan: not sure, it's corporate
* Blackberry Curve 8130
* Which features work - not sure
* Handsfree - yes
* Phonebook transfer - not sure
* SMS messaging - not sure
* Data transfer - no

Sorry I can't be more thorough, like I said I only spent like 5 minutes working on it but I figure what I have is better than nothing.

I found this at the TomTom site for the GO 730:

Bluetooth Compatability

AT&T/Cingular:
LG CU575, LG CE110*, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola RAZR V3i, Motorola ROKR E1, Motorola L6, Motorola L2, Motorola RAZR V3xx, Motorola RAZR 2 v9, Motorola SLVR L7, Motorola MPx220, Motorola Q9H, Motorola ROKR E1, HTC TyTN, Nokia 3650, Nokia E61, Nokia E62, Nokia N75, Nokia 9300, Nokia 9300i, Nokia 7610, Nokia 6230, Nokia 6550, Nokia 6820, Nokia 6820i, Nokia 6131, Nokia 6681, Nokia 6103, Sony Ericsson W550i, Sony Ericsson Z520, Sony Ericsson Z525, Sony Ericsson Z530, Sony Ericsson s710a*, Apple iPhone*, Blackberry 8820*, Blackberry 8300 Curve*, Samsung SGH-A517, Samsung SGH-A707, Samsung SGH-A727, Samsung SGH-i607*, Siemens SX66*

T-Mobile:
Blackberry 8700g*, Blackberry 8100 Pearl*, Motorola PEBL U6, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola RAZR V3i, Motorola RAZR V3t, Nokia 3650, Nokia 6600, Nokia 6131, Nokia 6103, Nokia 5300, Nokia 8800

Sprint/Nextel:
Motorola 1605*, Motorola i870*, Motorola i880*
Verizon: LG VX5400*, LG VX8350*, LG VX8500 (Chocolate)*, LG VX8700*, LG VX9900*, Motorola RAZR V3*, Samsung SCH-U700*, Samsung SCH-u470 Juke*

* Hands-free calling only. Access to TomTom PLUS Services not supported.

I guess that means I'll only be hands-free with my Curve. :(

TomTom tested: GO 920
Wireless carrier: tMobile
What data plan is being used if any: T-Mobile Total Internet Add-on
Phone manufacture and model number: Motorola RAZR2 v8

Which features work
Handsfree: No
Phonebook transfer: No
SMS messaging: No
Data transfer: Yes

Data transfer works, however seems to be intermittent (the connection fails about one third of the time).

I found this at the TomTom site for the GO 730:

I guess that means I'll only be hands-free with my Curve. :(

You can pair many more devices then the official list. I also believe Blackberry Curves have been paired - search the forum for "Curve". I have paired a Pearl for data services also, even though TT says it is not supported.

LG CU500 and Cingular

I got the LC CU500 to work over bluetooth for phone calls; and for data such as TTTraffic and weather.
The problem is that while it is getting traffic data the data mode stays active (I can see on my phone that the internet icon is still on), but I can't use the phone. If someone calls me, the TT acknowledges that fact but when I tap the answer button the phone ignores it.

Any ideas?:confused:

I forgot to mention...
The GPS is TT 920
The provider is AT&T (formerly Cingular)

Last edited:
messaging with SPRINT carrier ???

i have a samsung upstage, but with my tom tom go 700, i am only able to get hands free and address book import working ... messaging does not work. my cell phone carrier is Sprint. is there a way to get text messaging to work with samsung upstage, go 700, with SPRINT service? thank you in advance for any advice !!! :cool:

Carrrier: Sprint

Phone: Samsung Upstage

GPS Device: TT 720

Functions working:

- Hands free
- Address book imported
- Messaging

Not subscribed to data services, but the ability appears to be there.

Ask a Question