TomTom One 3rd Edition - Can't change Car Symbol

if its full then why is the feature missing?

and why is it that my tomtom came with the art folder and the cars subfolder if its model specific?

if that was the case, then those folders should have never been there when I first plugged in my TT

(if you're annoyed, take your own advice and ignore it.)

I have every right here to challenge somebody that claims he got cheated by TomTom when all he has to do is return the unit for full refund. This is a "discussion" forum after all.

Bank on topic: From what you're saying, since you have an LE (with "full" Nav 7) and don't have this option that maybe it's specific to model and not whether the OS is "lite".

Back off topic:
He never said he got cheated, he said he feels cheated. You can't argue with how someone else feels, that's personal preference.

He said that he would probably return the device. So there's no point in "challenging" him if you know the outcome anyhow.

Back on topic: I'm working to change the icon but I'm sure it will take some time. I'm a bit rusty on my linux.

Wow, just read this whole thread. Seems like a pretty petty thing to be complaining about. If someone hasn't figured out how to change the car icon on the One 3rd ed. then I imagine it isn't that easy. If you are that disappointed that you cannot change the icon in your $150 GPS unit then return it and drop some extra coin on one that you can, I'm sure it will be worth the money. I agree with others on this thread, I think the One 3rd ed. is pretty good for the money. I have had mine for a few weeks now and the couple times I have used it I have gotten from point A to point B no problem, thats all I need it to do and it does it just fine. I sense that you need yours for the same reason (otherwise you would have bought a higher end one in the first place). I say keep the One 3rd ed., save your money and use the arrow. Lucky for me my actual car is an arrow so I didn't have to worry about changing the icon on my One. Still feel like modding yours? Change the splash screen; piece of cake to do and you can use a picture of whatever you want.

Wow, just read this whole thread. Seems like a pretty petty thing to be complaining about. If someone hasn't figured out how to change the car icon on the One 3rd ed. then I imagine it isn't that easy. If you are that disappointed that you cannot change the icon in your $150 GPS unit then return it and drop some extra coin on one that you can, I'm sure it will be worth the money. I agree with others on this thread, I think the One 3rd ed. is pretty good for the money. I have had mine for a few weeks now and the couple times I have used it I have gotten from point A to point B no problem, thats all I need it to do and it does it just fine. I sense that you need yours for the same reason (otherwise you would have bought a higher end one in the first place). I say keep the One 3rd ed., save your money and use the arrow. Lucky for me my actual car is an arrow so I didn't have to worry about changing the icon on my One. Still feel like modding yours? Change the splash screen; piece of cake to do and you can use a picture of whatever you want.

Those of you defending TT from the "petty complaints" are missing the point completely. If I was expecting my TT to make me tea and crumpets and it only made me crumpets, it doesn't matter if I paid $10 for it, it's still going to keep my frown upside down. It's not the fact that you can't change the damn icon, it's the fact that the "lite" version is being sold without any sort of acknowledgment from the consumer.

I know, I know, all of you who are already on this forum knew that it'd come with the lite version, but I did my research elsewhere before I purchased... so I didn't know. I love my TT, but I'm still working on "fixing" my problem.

Good day to you.

I see your point. I am sure that if I cared that much about changing the car icon and found out that I can't I would be pretty bummed out. I had no idea about lite, non-lite, full, etc. when I bought my One 3rd. I always wanted one and saw it online Thanksgiving night for $120 and in a rush decision bought it. It's pretty basic compared to the $500+ units out there but has quite a bit of info in that compact unit for the money.

Good luck to you all with your icon issue. Hope someone can figure it out for you.

Cheers

I got the TT1 3rd edition also and love it. I never even thought about changing the car symbol, but it would be nice. I checked my TT and didn't see an art folder.

I have done modding on my cell phones and I would imagine that if you can see the cars subfolder and the image file, you could backup that file, rename a graphic file with the same name and replace the original file on the unit. That's what you do to replace certain graphics on cell phones.

I can't test this because I can't find the art folder. :confused:

smwoodcrafts

I got the TT1 3rd edition also and love it. I never even thought about changing the car symbol, but it would be nice. I checked my TT and didn't see an art folder.

I have done modding on my cell phones and I would imagine that if you can see the cars subfolder and the image file, you could backup that file, rename a graphic file with the same name and replace the original file on the unit. That's what you do to replace certain graphics on cell phones.

I can't test this because I can't find the art folder. :confused:

smwoodcrafts

I've looked for it, and it's buried in another file. It's not easily accessible.

The art folder wouldn't have anything in it unless you yourself put something in it. It's kind of like the Scheme folder.... the stock schemes are hidden somewhere and the "aftermarket" ones are in a folder that the TT looks for.

:confused:

I guess it does? Depends on how you read it.

What I meant to say was that I looked all over for the file, and it was not there. It, therefore, must be embedded somewhere.

Oh ok... you meant it's probably buried in a file someplace.

Although I totally agree that it probably is, I wouldn't necessarily state it as fact just yet. Unlikely, but it could be in firmware or rom someplace too.

missing arrow

I've looked for the arrow bmp and cant find it anywhere. The "art" folder does exist in my root directory but there is no way to change the arrow icon into a car.

Tommy D

I read the entire post and felt the topic deviated a little bit. However if you still want to change the car icon in Navcore 7 "lite". There is a piece of software called Tomtom Xplorer available for free at www.tomtomheaven.com. I tried it an worked fine on my Go 300 with Navcore 7.162.
The only difficult part is that the website is in french and so is the software.

If anybody needs it I can give setp by step instructions.

TTF

I read the entire post and felt the topic deviated a little bit. However if you still want to change the car icon in Navcore 7 "lite". There is a piece of software called Tomtom Xplorer available for free at www.tomtomheaven.com. I tried it an worked fine on my Go 300 with Navcore 7.162.
The only difficult part is that the website is in french and so is the software.

If anybody needs it I can give setp by step instructions.

TTF

Thanks! It worked for me as well on my One 3rd Edition w/Navcore 7.162.

PC100057Small.jpg

Fantastic find. If only I had my GPS with me to test it out. :rolleyes:

If you want to be able to read it somewhat better, a free translation by google will help you out:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.tomtomheaven.com/&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Of course it's not perfect but it's free :D

The download link is the very last image on the page, the big blue software box...just click it and it'll download. This is the download link:

http://www.tomtomheaven.com/data/zip/tthxplrr.zip

This is a hotlink, meaning it will bring you to the zip instantly.

Thanks! It worked for me as well on my One 3rd Edition w/Navcore 7.162.

The web page somewhat seems to imply that TomTomHeaven restores Navcore 7 functionality for people with "Navcore 7 Lite".

Everyone wanted ...

TomTom has done! But not for everyone ...

Version 7 is released with all of its long-awaited news, everybody rushed to build ...

And then disappointment, it is not for us humble owners, One, Go. Only owners of new high-end models have been entitled :-(

Fortunately TomTomHeaven is there to save you

If that's accurate, then we should see an Itinerary function in the menu as well. I haven't tried it yet, but can you confirm if you see this?

Thank-you.

*** AS ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING BELOW ***

Download the software from the link below
http://www.tomtomheaven.com/data/zip/tthxplrr.zip

Unzip it and run the setup.exe file.
You will find a new group entry in the start menu, named TomTomHeaven and inside it TomTomHeavenXplorer

***Before running the program I recommend:
? backup your settings.dat (eg settings.dat.old) in your tomtom to your computer;
? create a new folder named art and within it another folder named cars;
? put in there any cursor you want to use (.bmp file 80?80px)... You can download a lot of them from TomTomHeaven using the link under the cursor picture.

Then
? start the program TomTomHeavenXplorer;
? click Backup (Sauver in french) so you'll get another backup of your setings.dat which you can restore using the Repare (or R?parer in french) button;
? choose your curseur in the file list which shows you the content of your art/cars folder;
? click Apply (Appliquer in french)
- Disconnect tomtom and restart it.

This is not completely a new find, I got the info from another forum.

TTF

Ask a Question