920T Remote Control

No matter what I do I cannot open the remote control to insert batteries. I had several people try to open it, including my maintenance man! I called Tom Tom support and the technician could not open his remote either. He put me on hold forever and had another tech open it. He still could not get it opened. This happened twice.

I told him that mine must be defective (tired screw drivers, letter openers, pliers etc) as it just will not open. He told me it is not defective just difficult. So they will not send me a new one and I cannot open the one I have. Any suggestions or tricks on how to get this thing open. Thank you.

I just bought my 920T this morning and had the same problem. I finally figured out how to get it open. I used a back side of a pen and pushed the slide up into the remote, make sure to hold onto the sides and not the top of the remote when trying to open. It will lift off the whole top of the remote from the bottom half shell. It sure is not user friendly, but once I figured it out I was able to open it up a few times.

Same issue here when I got mine yesterday. I used the tip of a pen.. pushed really hard and held the edges of the remote (sides), not the top like the above poster said. It is a bad design but it will open.

Haha - me too. I thought something had to be wrong and almost gave up. I used the screwdriver blade on my Swiss Army knife to open it finally.

Thanks to one and all for your helpful suggestions. Still unable to open it and have now stabbed myself in the hand with letter opener! I'd better quit before I have to use my 920T to find the nearest emergency room.

Digital-flex,

Thank you for the link showing me what the remote looks like when open. It did help. I can't believe it but I did finally get it open without further personal injury.

Thank you very much for your help!

Haha...yeah, I also couldn't believe how long it took me to open the remote. I guess, you really take your time so you don't damage it.

Glad it was helpful.

Remote Control

I finally opened my remote this morning after several failed tries. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who has had difficulty doing this. If you push down on the silver button with your thumb, the silver face plate should pop up. Grab it with your other hand and it pull up. I hope this helps.

No matter what I do I cannot open the remote control to insert batteries. I had several people try to open it, including my maintenance man! I called Tom Tom support and the technician could not open his remote either. He put me on hold forever and had another tech open it. He still could not get it opened. This happened twice.

I told him that mine must be defective (tired screw drivers, letter openers, pliers etc) as it just will not open. He told me it is not defective just difficult. So they will not send me a new one and I cannot open the one I have. Any suggestions or tricks on how to get this thing open. Thank you.

I found that eyeglass screwdrivers are great for these types of problems!!

Opening remote

New owner of a 920T.

I couldn't get the back off either and finally called Tomtom. It was quite a process - the tech had never seen one of the remotes and she had to ask around. After using screwdriver and everything else I cracked the release bar slightly. They are sending me a new one free of charge and I keep the old one too. Meanwhile my daughter came home from school, picked up the remote and pressed down and the front popped off. Apparently Tomtom has had a large number of calls about this problem.

Looks like we all agree on the case design problems...

Regarding the remote itself, after about a week's use I hate to say it, but I'm underwhelmed. Bluetooth seems like a kind of bad choice since it has to pair with the GPS each time you start up, and it doesn't seem to do this until you push a button. So you push one of the buttons and it appears that nothing is happening. Then after awhile (seems like forever but it's probably 15 or 20 seconds) you get a message on the screen that the remote was detected. I'm not sure, but I think I've also seen it time out after not using it for awhile.

The good thing is that you don't have to point it at the GPS when pushing buttons, like the remote on the StreetPilot 2xx0 units. But it would be more useful if it had more dedicated buttons for different functions. Scrolling through menus with cursor keys isn't much fun. Pretty much all I use the remote for is zooming in and out in driving and map views.

And have you noticed that when you access the "Browse Map" function using the remote, it takes you to some screens that you cannot access using the touch screen? Try this: using the touch screen, select Browse Map. There are 4 buttons across the bottom of the screen: Options, Find, Cursor and Done. Now tap the cursor button; you see a menu with: Navigate there, Find POI nearby, Call, Add as Favorite, Add as POI and Correct location.

No go back to the driving screen and use the remote to access Browse Map from the menu. Across the bottom of the screen there are only 3 buttons now: Options, Find and Done. I guess the remote itself is considered the Cursor button. And I suppose they also limited the buttons to three so they would correspond to the three buttons on the remote? Push the center cursor button on the remote and you get: Show Information, Use Cursor, Find, Change Preferences, How to Zoom and Center on Map. You can't get that menu using the touch screen. And why would you put change preferences on the map screen? Where did Correct Map go?

The 720/920 manual is wrong also. See page 37 where it lists the menu which should be displayed when tapping the cursor button. Center on Map is one of the items, but there's no way to do this without the remote control! Actually I think it's just a typo in the manual, because it lists 7 menu choices on page 37, and we know that the standard menus only allow 6 choices :)

Last edited:
Your instructions were a godsend! I spent a day trying to open the remote and succeeded only seconds after reading your post. I was so frustrated I had packed the 920T up and it was headed back to the store. Many many thanks. By the way, the L-shape slot covers on the back of a desktop computer work very well in pushing in the tab. The small end on the long side pretty well matches up with the width of the tab.

I can say how happy I am to hear that others had the same problem. I did not want to call just because I could not open a battery door. Finally with my trusty swiss army knive I got it open.

Ask a Question